John Pritiskutch Reproductions

History of Lebanon County - Union Township

The following is reproduced from the 1875 Atlas of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania

The history of Union is merged in that of Hanover and East Hanover, until 1842, when it became a separate township organization. Since then its boundaries, which then extended to the northern limit of the county, have been reduced by the Erection of Cold Spring township. Several of the Forts erected as a protection against the Indians, were located in what is now this township. Fort Smith was situated in the eastern part, not far from Union Forge, and on land now owned by D. Blanch. This at least is the location assigned by reliable parties who claim to know. This Fort seems to have been erected not far from 1738, and figured largely in the days of Indian alarms and massacres. It was in the northern part of Pleasant Hill District, that a Mr. Noacres was shot by the Indians, while ploughing, on the lands now owned by R. Boltz, Esq. In fact, the incursions of the Indians in this immediate section, seem to have been frequent and vindictive, as tradition has handed down the names of quite a number of their victims. Among them is the name of Philip Maurer, who was shot dead while cradling oats.

One Mathias Borshore had a narrow escape, being wounded in the side ere reaching a place of safety. This township is divided into many farms, some of them small but productive, although of more uneven surface than in some parts of the county. The Lebanon and Tremont R. R. extends through the eastern part of the township and has several stations within its boundaries. The Boston and South Mountain R. R. also crosses its south-eastern part. The population in 1870 was 1614.